CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1170580
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, ST ANDREWS WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1170580.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 05:04:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, ST ANDREWS WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
West Dereham
National Grid Reference:
TF 66746 02104

Details

TF 60 SE WEST DEREHAM ST ANDREWS WALK

11/63 Church of St Andrew 4/63

8.7.59

GV I

Parish church. Late C12 west tower, remainder early C15, restored 1895. Tower of ferruginous conglomerate, remainder of carstone and flint with ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roofs. Three stage round tower. Restored round arched west window. Second stage of smaller circumference above set-off is pierced by one round-headed lancet to west and further blocked lancet to north. C14 octagonal brick belfry stage with one 2-light Y tracery window each facet set within recess defined at top by frieze of 5 round arches. Alternate pairs of windows blocked. Plain parapet. Late C17 south porch of rendered brick with shaped gable. Outer door jambs and arch of re-used medieval material. Statutory niche with triangular hood on head stops in gable. Two-light square-headed side windows. Interior of porch barrel vaulter with transverse ribs. Early C13 inner south door: one order of shafts with bell capitals support square imposts and deeply undercut moulded pointed arch. Four flat buttresses with one set-off to nave north and south, the 2 eastern bays with 3-light Perpendicular windows under depressed arches. Windows with stepped transoms above ogee arches. Chancel with 2 3-light Perpendicular windows beneath pointed arches on south side, one on north side. Stepped buttress and priests' door to south. Diagonal east buttresses. Three-light Perpendicular panel tracery east window with crenellated transom. Gabled C19 vestry to north. Blocked wave moulded north nave door. Interior. Pointed tower arch. C14 octagonal front with facets of bowl decorated with quatrefoils. C19 scissors braced nave roof with crenellated tie beam. Rood stairs survive. Triple chamfered tower arch. C19 crown post chancel roof on chamfered tie beam. Embattled C15 wall plate survives. C17 iron twist altar rails. Early C17 pulpit: punched arcading on fluted pilaster strips above dado of rectangular panels with diamond fielding; scrolled consoles support reading desk. Early C17 reading desk with similar decoration and details. One south nave window retains C15 glass in head. Wall monument to Colonel Edmond Soames (died 1706) against south chancel wall 1710, signed by Robert Singleton (of Bury St Edmunds). White, pink and grey marble. Pedestal with inscription plaque. Life size statue of Colonel Soames in military dress against round-headed grey ground. Open pediment with central cartouche and swags supported on carved pilasters right and left. Wall monument in north chancel wall to Thomas Dereham 1722: marble with pilaster strapwork above inscription panel cartouche. Apron acting as pedestal extends to ground. To left wall monument to Robert (died 1612) and Thomas Dereham (died 1559); marble with black slate inscription tablet framed by pilasters support- ing decorated architrave. Composition with crowning achievement and scrolled apron.

Listing NGR: TF6674602104

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221718
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05895/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].