CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1170650
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1170650.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:52:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Wretham
National Grid Reference:
TL 91505 90632

Details

WRETHAM TL 99 SW 2/66 Church of St Ethelbert (formerly listed as Church of St Ethelbert, East Wretham)

16.7.58 II*

Parish church, C12, rebuilt 1865. Flint with ashlar quoins. Tiled roofs. West tower and 3 stages and saddleback roof. 2-light belfry windows. 2- light nave and chancel windows in Decorated style and 3-light chancel east window. South porch with re-used C12 doorway of 3 orders (nailhead, roll, zig- zag) with fine waterleaf capitals. Interior with circular piers and waterleaf capitals of 1865. Moulded arcades. Triple engaged columns to chancel arch and tall moulded archway. Finely carved naturalistic foliage flanks C19 sedilia. Piscina of similar date. Elaborate font and font cover executed in C14 style. Good timber roofs to nave and north aisle.

Listing NGR: TL9150590632

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
219889
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07051/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Hull. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].