CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1170666
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1170666.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:22:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Wretham
National Grid Reference:
TL 94811 89994

Details

WRETHAM TL 98 NW 5/61 ILLINGTON CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

16.7.58 II*

Parish church. Mostly early C15, restored 1887. West tower 3 storeys with set-off buttresses and flat stair turret on S.E. corner. Pierced ringing chamber ventilation panels. 2-light belfry windows and flushwork battlements. Nave and chancel windows much restored. 2 C12 interior splay windows to north and south. Large mullioned window blocks remain of south arcade opening. Perpendicular east and west windows. Interior has perpendicular chancel arch with wave mouldings and semi-octagonal piers. Nave roof of 4 bays with hammerbeams, collars and collar braces. 2 butt purlins. Some timbers renewed. Chancel roof of small hammerbeam posts supporting arched braces only. Principal rafters intact with four collar beams. All roof timbers extensively rebuilt using original material in 1887.

Listing NGR: TL9481189994

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
219895
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07051/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Hull. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].