THE BEAR'S HUT 220 METRES NORTH NORTH WEST OF KILLERTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1170706
Date first listed:
20-May-1985
Statutory Address:
THE BEAR'S HUT 220 METRES NORTH NORTH WEST OF KILLERTON HOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1170706.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 09:08:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BEAR'S HUT 220 METRES NORTH NORTH WEST OF KILLERTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Broad Clyst
National Grid Reference:
SS 97141 00154

Details

SX 99 NE BROADCLYST KILLERTON PARK

2/104 The Bear's Hut 220 metres north - north west of Killerton House

- II*

Summer house. Built before 1831. Split timbers under a hipped wheat reed thatched roof. Single storeyed; 3-bay front the centre projecting with window or oriel, on struts, 5 lights, with 16 leaded panes plus margin panes to each light, to the left of the entrance. One rear lancet window inserted into a massive hewn tree-trunk forms the 'east' window to a single-celled 'hermitage' in one of 3 internal divisions; 2 side windows to this tiny chapel, one of 2, the other of 3 lights, all ogee headed. The 3-light window retains its original chamfered jambs and mullions and some glazing bars. Interior: the 'hermitage' with a rustic wooden 'chancel arch', 'vaulted arch', 'vaulted apse' and 'sedilia', the whole roofed in deer skins, and floored in deers' knuckle-bones. The lancet window contains fragments of high-quality painted glass with a dated panel which reads: 'Reverendus adm : ac Amplisimus Dominus David Brockmans S.T.B.F. Decanns halselensis et peullis : Capituli inunsterblisiensis Canonicus necnon huius conventus confesarius. Anno 1696'. The other fragments consist of faces and bits of Latin block script. The central room, with corner fireplace, is lined and roofed in matting, and decorated with pine cones, the floor inlaid with oak tree-trunk sections. The right-hand room cobbled, with walls and roof of wicker work. Approached up a path of 4 steps. Note on dating : the Bear's Hut is illustrated in a set of drawings by John Gendall of Exeter of 1831 and is an interesting and eccentric early-C19 piece of picturesque rustic garden furniture,(fragments of Killerton). See Lady Ann Acland, Killerton (National -Trust, 1983) pp. 18-19.

Listing NGR: SS9714100154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88417
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Acland, A, Killerton, (1983), 18-19
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].