CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1170801
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1170801.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 12:14:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Bourton-on-the-Water
National Grid Reference:
SP 16695 20863

Details

1. 5224 HIGH STREET (north-east side)

Church of St lawrence SP 1620 NE 3/11 25.8.60

II* GV

2. Tower 1784, nave mostly late C19, chancel C14 said to be 1328. The church was rebuilt except the chancel in 1784 by William Marshall, and the nave almost completely remodelled from Georgian back to Decorated by Sir T G Jackson, while retaining the tower and chancel. North aisle 1875, south porch 1890, nave 1891. Coursed rubble with Cotswold stone roof. Five bay nave with round piers and pointed arches and a king-post roof. The chancel has features of the C14 with a roof of 1890, painted by F Howard in 1928. Good late C19 and early C20 church fittings. Pulpit of 1888. Three stage tower of ashlar, rusticated on ground stage and with giant Ionic pilaster quoins above. Balustrade, vase finials, lead covered dome. Lozenge shaped clock on south face dated 1785. Large round clock above. It is an interesting church of 3 periods, the C18 tower being particularly fine, and stands in important relationship to the village and the vale as a whole. Nave and south porch illustrated in The Building News 26 February 1886.

Listing NGR: SP1669520863

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
126445
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Building News' in 26 February, (1886)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/00290/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].