MARKER'S COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1170878
Date first listed:
20-May-1985
Date of most recent amendment:
19-May-1989
Statutory Address:
MARKER'S COTTAGE, TOWNEND

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKER'S COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1170878.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 22:04:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
MARKER'S COTTAGE, TOWNEND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Broad Clyst
National Grid Reference:
SX9854497224

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/09/2012

SX 99 NE 5/130

TOWNEND Broadclyst Marker's Cottage

(previously listed as Nos. 3-4 Markers Cottage)

II*

Cottage. C15, C16, C17, altered C18, C19 and C20. Renovated and converted back to a single dwelling in 1980s. Cob, stone plinth,rendered, main house with sandstone and brick end stacks, wheat reed thatched roof, gabled end to left-hand side; sloping thatched roof over later single-storey right-hand extension; slate roof over small back wing at left with end stack. Plan and development: Originates in the C15 as a 3-cell through passage house with all rooms open to roof and divided by plank and muntin screens. Late in the C15 the parlour was celled and the upper room separated off by a heightened screen. c.1530 rear lateral hall stack added. c.1600 the hall was ceiled and the rear stair turret built and the house generally improved. Late C17, kitchen wing built. Mid C19 divided into two cottages with additional staircase and other alterations. 1980s, repaired, old features discovered and restored to single dwelling. Exterior: 2 storeys. 3-window range under a curved roof ridge line. Ground floor with 2 doors and C19 2 and 3-light timber casement windows; upper windows, 2 and 3-light under eyebrow eaves, the right hand 3-light casement, C18 with leaded panes, 4 to the fixed side-lights, 8 to the centre. Right-hand extension with a single C20 window. Left-hand end of house with two 2-light casements, each light with 9 re-leaded panes. Interior: Principal known surviving features. Hall/parlour plank and muntin screen painted on both sides; painting dated stylistically 1470-1510. Original (C15) 4-light window with surviving central mullion. c.1600 3-light window rebated for glazing. Large areas of C17 plaster daub. Joinery, beams, door frames etc from the several periods. Several good fireplaces. Roof: Three pairs of jointed cruck trusses, the south pair extending down to ground level, as does the north one at end of the painted screen. The others rest on wooden plates in the cob walls just above the stone plinth. Trusses morticed and side pegged at apex, diagonally set ridge piece, collars and purlins. Smoke blackened rye thatch throughout entire length. (Detailed information from National Trust, report by Isobel Richardson).

Listing NGR: SX9862997414

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88443
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11288/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Vickery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].