SHUTE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1171008
Date first listed:
08-May-1967
Statutory Address:
SHUTE HOUSE, HADDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHUTE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171008 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 12:41:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHUTE HOUSE, HADDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Shute
National Grid Reference:
SY 25569 96978

Details

SY 29 NE SHUTE HADDON ROAD 10/475 8.5.67 Shute House

II*

Large country house in landscaped park. Divided into flats. Built 1787-90 for Sir John Pole who in 1787 bought Old Shute House (Shute Barton) qv.

Large stuccoed house with slate hipped roof, parapet rusticated quoins and stringcourses. North entrance front. Three storeys and basement and five bays. Sash windows with glazing bars. Central round-arched pilastered portico in stone with pediment.

Low flanking quadrant walls (screening service wings) with niches containing urns and terminating in two storey, four bay pavilions, also with rusticated quoins, parapets and hipped roofs.

South garden front 3:1:3 bays left and right full-height semi-circular bays with sashes, some retaining glazing bars. Central flight of steps with cast iron balustrade. First floor windows have iron balconettes. Set back right and left the rear walls of the service wings have blind arcading. Interior: contains Adam style rooms with moulded plaster ceilings, marble chimneypieces and staircase with wrought iron balustrade. Contains a private theatre of circa 1900, in north east wing, the moulded plaster ceiling and proscemium arch have been retained. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SY2556996978

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88152
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Dec 2003
Reference: IOE01/11669/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Rev Andrew Salmon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].