CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1171327
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171327.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 10:42:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Fifehead Magdalen
National Grid Reference:
ST 78280 21596

Details

In the entry for

ST 72 SE FIFEHEAD MAGDALEN FIFEHEAD MAGDALEN VILLAGE

2/25 Church of St Mary Magdalen

GV II *

The item shall be amended to read;

ST 72 SE FIFEHEAD MAGDALEN FIFEHEAD MAGDALEN VILLAGE Church of St Mary 2/25 Magdalen

4.10.60

GV II

------------------------------------

ST 72 SE FIFEHEAD MAGDALEN FIFEHEAD MAGDALEN VILLAGE

2/25 Church of St Mary Magdalen

GV II*

Parish Church. Nave chancel and tower C14, alterations of C15 and C17, north chapel C17 or C18, alterations of C19 and restoration of 1905. Coursed, squared rubble walls with ashlar dressings and gabled, stone-slated roofs. Plan: nave, chancel, south tower incorporating porch, north chapel leading from chancel. South tower: 2 stages with moulded string-courses; embattled parapet; 2-centred, chamfered arch with continuous jambs. Fenestration is largely of 2 lights under square heads and extensively restored. West window of north nave wall is C15 restored. East window of north nave wall is C17 and has chamfered, round head. 3-light C20 east chancel window. 3-light C15 west nave window under 2-centred head, much restored. Cl4 south chancel door with chamfered 2-centred head and continuous jambs. Cl4 north nave buttress, other buttresses C20 or much restored. South nave doorway has chamfered, 2-centred head and continuous jambs. The door is dated 1637 and is of 2 parts, hinged at the centre. The outer door is Cl7 of plain boards. Internal features: 2 centred, chamfered chancel arch with continuous jambs and flat soffit; chamfered, segmental chapel arch; C14 piscina under 2-centred head in chancel; ribbed barrel-vaults to nave and chancel; font with small C15 octagonal stone bowl with trefoiled panels on C18 gadrooned and fluted plinth; C19/C20 seating and pulpit; main font C20; various C18 and C19 monuments; particularly important is monument to the Newman family on north wall of the chapel, c.1750 in coloured marbles with busts and portrait medallions together with foliate brackets, wreaths etc. RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 19/20, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 2O3/4.

Listing NGR: ST7828021596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
102672
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historic Monuments; Inventory of Dorset Vol 4, (1972), 19-20
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 203-204

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15091/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Gibson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].