Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171520.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:52:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 51372 03664


OUTWELL WISBECH ROAD TF 50 SW 9/36 Church of St. Clement 11.8.51 G.V. I Parish church. C13 west tower, C14 nave, nave and aisles remodelled C15, chancel C15 but rebuilt 1863, north transept chapel 1527, church restored 1887. Barnack and ragstone with some brick repairs, brick north transept. Plain tiled roofs. 3 stage tower supported by angle buttresses to first stage. 4-centred west door below 4-light C15 window. Ringing chamber windows C13, of 2 arched lights on a round shaft. In spandrel a pierced circle. C14 belfry windows of 2 cusped lights supporting a quatrefoil vesica. Plain parapet with corner pinnacles. C18 pyramidal roof. Polygonal stair turret at southeast rising to ringing chamber. Aisles and clerestory crenellated. Angle buttresses to corners and stepped to flanks. South aisle west window of 4 lights with Perpendicular subarcuated tracery. 3-light C14 flowing tracery window to west of 2 storeyed south porch. Porch entered through stilted arch and supported by stepped side buttresses. 2-light parvise window in gable head and upper storey side windows to east and west. External entrance to stairs on west side. Interior with 2 bay tierceron vault with fleuron bosses, the cells with C19 brick infil. South aisle illuminated though 2 transomed segmental-headed C15 windows of 6 or 7 lights. Pinnacles on parapet over buttresses. 5-light transomed east window to south aisle of panel tracery type. Aisles embrace chancel. 5 3-light 4-centred clerestory windows to north and south. 5-light east window of chancel and 3 light side windows, all with transoms and panel tracery. 6-light north aisle east window with transom, the transom above cusped lights. To right and left of tracery head one statue in niche below cusped canopy. 4 3-light C15 north aisle windows with segmental heads. Segmental arched north door in second bay. Brick transeptal chapel of 1520's : diagonal buttresses, 4-light north window under depressed arch and 3-light segmental-headed side windows. Straight gable. No crenellations to north aisle parapet west of transept. Interior. 5 bay octagonal arcade of C14. Wave moulded south arches, chamfered north arches on moulded capitals. Clerestory windows over apexes. C15 tower arch with Perpendicular mouldings and angel capitals to responds. Double wave moulded chancel arch with polygonal capitals. Nave roof of alternating hammer beams and tie beams. The former in shape of carved angels bearing symbols and scrolls. Tie beams drop on arched braces to wall posts supported on corbels. Carved figures stand on corbels. 3 painted angels decorate each tie beam and at intervals on wall plate. Queen posts and subsidiary struts rise to moulded principals from ties. Arched braces rise from hammer beams. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Gabled south aisle with hammer beam roof, the hammer beams in form of angels. Boarded ashlaring decorated with painted angels. Moulded arched principals, one tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Polygonal staircase to upper storey of porch impinges on south aisle. North aisle roof C19. Aisles separated from chancel chapels by wave moulded arches. Chapels entered from chancel through depressed 4- centred continuous Perpendicular arches. Roof of south chapel as south aisle. Against south wall a C14 4-centred cusped and sub-cusped founders tomb recess with fleurons and seaweed foliage. Also in south chapel the Beaupre monument. Tomb chest and recess to Nicholas Beaupre 1511, the tomb chest of Purbeck marble in alternating wide and narrow panels with floral decoration and shields. The recess has spiral fluted colonnettes to right and left supporting a frieze of quatrefoils in square panels below incised top cresting. Above this is alabaster achievement commemorating death of Edmund Beaupre 1567. In recess an alabaster tablet is inserted, with strapwork and garlands within egg and dart border. North chancel chapel with cinquefoil piscina and roof of arched braces pierced in spandrels. Square flat decorated purlins and principals. North transeptal chapel opens from east bay of aisle through stilted wave moulded arch. Full hammer beam roof in 3 bays. Crenellated and crested hammer posts stand on pierced arched braces which drop to carved angel corbels. Carved angels also a hammer beams. Pierced arched braces rise to collars, decorated with foliage trail. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Octagonal font in nave with cusped tracery. On north aisle north wall a brass of 1511 to Richard Quadryng : a man in armour, praying. Fragments of late C15 stained glass in south chancel and of 3 wise men in north transeptal chapel.

Listing NGR: TF5137203664


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/04485/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].