CROMER LIGHTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1171781
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1977
Statutory Address:
CROMER LIGHTHOUSE, OVERSTRAND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROMER LIGHTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171781.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 10:56:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CROMER LIGHTHOUSE, OVERSTRAND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Cromer
National Grid Reference:
TG 23036 41509

Details

OVERSTRAND ROAD 1. 5320 (North East Side) Cromer Lighthouse TG 24 SW 2/49

II

2. Built 1833. Fairly squat octagonal stuccoed tower with cornice balustrade, topped by circular lantern with a wind vane. 3 storeys plus the lantern, on alternate sides of octagon, windows, sashes, some with glazing bars, some blocked. Abutting wing of one storey to east and larger wing to south, both mid to late C19. The original lighthouse was built in 1719 but collapsed with the cliff in the sea in 1866.

Listing NGR: TG2303641509

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
222545
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09504/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].