CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1171821
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETERS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171821.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 23:45:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETERS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hoveton
National Grid Reference:
TG 31428 19549

Details

HOVETON ST. PETER'S LANE TG 31 NW 7/63 Church of St. Peter 16.4.55 - II*

Parish church. Dated 1624, restored 1884 by H.J. Green, Diocesan architect, and 1947. Brick with thatched roof. Rectangular plan comprising undifferentiated nave and chancel. 3-light intersecting west and east windows. 2 2-light Y windows to north and south, all windows with hood moulds on labels. Brick plinth. West and east gables stepped with trefoil coping on kneelers. Bell-cote to west has rebated centre and stepped gable. Gabled south porch, the gable stepped and supported on kneelers. Double chamfered inner and outer arches are semi-circular. Outer arch with hood on labels below datestone 1624, One stepped side buttress to nave and diagonal stepped eastern buttresses, all with tumbling. South side has corbelled eaves cornice, north side a saw-toothed eaves cornice. Blocked double chamfered north door. Interior. Tie beams to now boarded roof have small sunk quadrant mouldings. Polygonal pulpit panelled and with palmette frieze below top rail. C19 linefold altar dado. Circular C19 drum font enriched by 4 patee crosses in punched roundels, otherwise plain. Asymmetrical wall monument in form of cartouche to Mary Aufrere 1750 : composed of drapery folds with cherub at apex holding coat of arms; further cherubic head to left.

Listing NGR: TG3142819549

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224394
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04133/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Laurie A. Saunders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].