LODGE, GATEWAY AND FLANKING WALLS TO BRYANSTON SCHOOL APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE STOUR INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1171846

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: LODGE, GATEWAY AND FLANKING WALLS TO BRYANSTON SCHOOL APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE STOUR INN

Map

Ordnance survey map of LODGE, GATEWAY AND FLANKING WALLS TO BRYANSTON SCHOOL APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE STOUR INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171846 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 23:00:45.

Location

Statutory Address: LODGE, GATEWAY AND FLANKING WALLS TO BRYANSTON SCHOOL APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE STOUR INN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Bryanston

National Grid Reference: ST 88336 05934

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRYANSTON LOWER BRYANSTON ST 88 05

12/31 Lodge, Gateway and flanking walls to Bryanston School approximately 60m 14-7-55 north-west of the Stour Inn (formerly listed as Lodge to Park).

GV II

Lodge, gateway and flanking walls, c.1778, probably by James Wyatt. Greensand ashlar with Portland stone dressings, hipped lead roofs. Symmetrical. Central gateway with round headed arches flanked by single bay, single storey lodges. The central arch is flanked by Dorie half-columns which support a pedimented entablature. The entablature bears the inscription 'Bryanston School' in gilded Roman capitals. Each lodge has a single 12-pane sash and a moulded cornice. The flanking walls curve forward to the roadside and terminate in large rectangular piers. The walls have moulded copings and the piers are surmounted by heraldic beasts bearing shields. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.III, p.47, no.2. Newman J. and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.118)

Listing NGR: ST8833605934

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103307

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 47
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 118

End of official listing