CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1171857
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, AYLSHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171857 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 00:59:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, AYLSHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Blickling
National Grid Reference:
TG 17873 28455

Details

TG 12 NE BLICKLING AYLSHAM ROAD

4/13 Church of St. Andrew 10-5-61

GV II*

Parish church. Medieval with extensive C19 remodelling. Flint with limestone dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch, north aisle, north-east chapel. Square west tower by G.E. Street, 1876: angle- buttresses to west, north and south aisles flank tower base. Tall lancet west window, lancets at bell stage and 3-light bell openings with cusped Y- tracery. Coped parapet on corbel-table. C19 south porch by Street, diagonal gable buttresses with flushwork in cusped niches. Coped and parapeted south gable with ashlar and flushwork decoration. 2-light east and west windows. South doorway set in flushwork: C13 with engaged shafts and pointed arch with keeled roll-moulding. 4-bay nave clerestorey with 2-light cusped Y-tracery windows. Nave and chancel fenestration all C19 Perpendicular, with bays divided by staged buttresses with flushwork panels. 5-light east window by William Butterfield, 1851. Plain north doorway with hoodmould on headstops, early C14; plain continuous chamfer and wave moulding to arch. Interior: C15 nave roof, much repaired and renewed: arch-braced rafters, alternate bays on wallposts and head corbels. Tower arch with double hollow-chamfer and polygonal responds. Circular quatrefoil opening above arch; 2-light C19 plate tracery window above. C15 north and south arcades, four bays, piers with four shafts and continuous wave and hollow-chamfer mouldings. Aisle roofs C15 with roll-moulded and arch-braced principals with traceried spandrels; wallposts on head corbels. Chapels in eastern bays of aisles. The south chapel has C20 linenfold dado panelling; piscina in south-east corner with petalled bowl and hollow-chamfered arch. Angle-piscina in south- east corner of chancel with traceried and crocketted ogee heads on carved headstops. In the north-east corner an elaborate C19 memorial niche to the 7th Marquis of Lothian (d.1841): ogee arched recess, crocketted, cusped and subcusped; fleurons around arch. Chancel contains good wall monuments, notably to Elizabeth Gurdon (d.1582) a semicircular niche with leaf spandrels and modillion cornice on Ionic colonnettes containing a kneeling figure; James Hobart (d.1670) - Ionic pilasters flanking tablet with skulls on base. C17 and C18 slabs in chancel floor. In the south aisle a C16 tomb chest to Sir Edward Clere with sixteen shields in arched recesses. Wall monument to Margaret Graile (d.1723). Many good C14 and C15 brasses including a large figure of Sir Nicholas Dagworth (d.1401), bust of James de Holveston (d.1378) and Roger and Cecily Felthorp 1454 (portrayed with their 16 children). In the nave, a large chest tomb with recumbent figure and attendant angels at head and foot to William Schomberg Robert, 8th Earl of Lothian (d.1870), by G.F. Watts 1878. Adjacent to south door a white marble relief by A.G. Walker to Constance, widow of 8th Marquess (d,1901). C17 pulpit on coved pedestal, hexagonal. Octagonal C15 font with lions in panels around bowl, angel-corbels below bowl and four lions around stem. Open ogee cover with pelican-finial.

Listing NGR: TG1787328455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228672
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05269/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].