CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1171867
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BOURNEMOUTH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171867.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 12:22:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BOURNEMOUTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Charlton Marshall
National Grid Reference:
ST 90038 04074

Details

CHARLTON MARSHALL ST 90 SW BOURNEMOUTH ROAD (East side)

8/36 Church of St Mary 14-7-55 GV I

Parish church dated 1713 on nave wall and 1728 on tower downpipe. West tower C15. C18 work probably by the Bastards of Blandford for Dr Sloper. C18 work in flint with squared greensand blocks. C15 work in banded flint and rubble. Ashlar dressings. Nave has tiled roof with stone slate margins and end stone copings, tower and north aisle have flat lead roofs concealed behind parapets. Nave and porch have ogee-moulded cornice. Plan: nave with continuous chancel; north aisle-and organ chamber; west tower; south porch. West tower: 2 stages separated by weathered string; square set buttresses; C15 casement moulded window surround extending near to ground level containing C18 window with round head and C18 doorway with plain pilaster surround and 6-fielded panel door; upper stage has lancet partially obscured by clock face to south wall; 2-light, C15 belfry windows with square heads and Perpendicular tracery; C18 ashlar parapet with central pediments and pyramidal obelisks with ball finials. All main C18 windows have semi-circular_heads with ashlar architraves and contain leaded-lights. The north aisle has a plain parapet plat band and a moulded parapet cornice. Doorways to chancel and organ chamber have plain ashlar architraves and contain 5-fielded panel doors. Between nave and chancel and at chancel ends and buttresses of 5 weathered stages which are presumably reset. The south porch is gabled with a stone slate roof and has a semi-circular arch with ashlar architrave bearing stone keystone and imposts. The stone coping terminates in large sundial finial.

Internal features: C18, 5 bay north aisle with round arches springing from square piers; pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into responds; continuous elliptical, plastered barrel-vaulted nave and chancel roof; coved wall plate; carved oak reredos with fluted Corinthian pilasters and inscriptions; C18 communion rails with posts in form of Doric columns; C18 font with gadrooned base and cover with pineapple finial; C18 octagonal pulpit with fielded marquetry panels and sounding board; some C18 benches; C18 panelled doors; various C18 and C19 monuments including several to members of the Bastard family. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.III, p.57/58, no.1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p141/2.) )

Listing NGR: ST9003804075

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103309
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 57-58
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 141-142

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05935/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JE Leeson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].