CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1171984
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171984.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 17:07:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Ringstead
National Grid Reference:
TF 70578 40669

Details

TF 74 SW RINGSTEAD HIGH STREET (west)

2/78 Church of St. Andrew 5/6/53 - II*

Parish church. Flint, with limestone and carstone green and blue slate roofs. c.13OO tower, C14 chancel, C15 nave, 1865 north aisle and internal details. West tower, nave and south porch, chancel, north aisle with vestries at east end. Tower partly rebuilt in red brick at south and west with 2 west buttresses and 1865 2-light west window. 4 switch tracery belfry windows, battlemented parapet and conical roof. Nave south side one 2-light Decorated window at west, 2 fine 3-light Perpendicular windows at east. 3 buttresses. South porch 1865, figure of Good Shepherd in gable. Chancel south one single light window with ogee head and label stops. 2 2-light C14 straight headed Decorated windows 2 cusped half arches springing from central mullion intersecting one cusped whole arch, with labels and stops,c,1300 priest's door. Nave east gable and chancel east wall 1865, a 3-light Decorated style window, carstone banding. North aisle 1865. Large plate tracery west window, 2 2-light Decorated style windows and one door at east end. Lean-to vestry with prominent north stack and 2 lancets for east gable. Large naturalistic spout heads on line of valley between 1300 nave and aisle roofs. Interior: south door c.1200 Decorated chancel arch and rich angle piscina with ogee arches, label stops heads and finials. 2 south windows have internal labels and head stops. Aumbry and blocked door on north. Good C17 and C18 ledger slabs. Other details largely of 1865 : 3 bay north arcade, nave roof and benches, stone pulpit with marble inlay. Font : C19 base, C15 octagonal bowl. Chancel : arched braced scissor truss roof, painted; chancel arch and communion rails and stalls; bold High Victorian reredos, alabaster, all of 1865. North aisle east arch revealing vestry. Wall tablet in tower, C18.

Listing NGR: TF7057840669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221260
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03147/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].