CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1172267
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, THE COMMON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172267.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:38:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, THE COMMON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Mulbarton
National Grid Reference:
TG 19425 01147

Details

TG 10 SE MULBARTON THE COMMON (east side) 2/22 Church of St.Mary 26/11/59 Magdalen - II*

Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with stone and some brick dressings. Lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch and chancel with vestry to north. C14 west tower with chequered flushwork on diagonal buttresses, curvilinear 2-light traceried bell-openings and crenellated parapet. 2 2-light cusped Y-traceried nave windows. North aisle of 1875 with one re-used cusped Y-traceried window. Chancel with 2 flat headed 2-light windows in Perpendicular style with westernmost retaining some original tracery. C19 east window. C19 vestry. Plain chamfered tower and chancel arches. C19 north arcade in C14 style. Chancel piscina. Octagonal font with quatrefoil panels, arcaded base and ribbed wooden cover. Wall monument to Sir Edwin Rich (died 1675) with flanking foliage scrolls and model of hour-glass above.

Listing NGR: TG1942501147

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226599
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03812/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].