CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1172366
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172366.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 09:29:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Bodham
National Grid Reference:
TG 12568 38932

Details

TG 13 NW BODHAM

7/11 Church of All Saints 4.10.60 II*

Medieval parish church, restored 1893-4. Coursed flint and some iron conglomerate with stone dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave, chancel and south porch. C14 3-stage tower with embattled parapet and stepped diagonal buttresses; west doorway with continuous deep mouldings, late C20 ledged and battened oak door; early C14 west window of cusped 'Y' tracery; bell openings of 2 cusped lights under a quatrefoil. (Tower restored 1921 as memorial to 1914-18 war dead). South porch renewed C19: south front of galletted knapped flint, flint chips in rendering to walls, eaves courses and dentil cornice in brick; arch renewed above side shafts, continuous moulding, blocked niche above; continuous roll moulding to doorway, ledged and battoned door c.1920, niche to right for stoup, lined with medieval black and yellow glazed tiles. Nave walls with flint chip rendering, brick eaves courses and dentil cornice to roof with lower pitch of c.1850. Brick buttresses, 2 to south, 4 to north; 3-light openings with tracery of 6 panels under a square head, hollow chamfered mullions, 2 to south, that nearest porch having figure stops to hood mould and date 1633 in rendered brick above, 3 to north, those to right and left having wooden mullions and tracery. East wall of nave with conglomerate, diagonal stone dressed buttress to south. Chancel of coursed galletted flint with conglomerate, conglomerate at base of rendered north wall, brick eaves cornice, pantiles; semi-circular headed blocked south doorway between two 2-light C19 windows each with 4 tracery panels under a pointed segmental head; mid C19 east window of 3 lights and panel tracery under 4-centred arch. Interior: mid C19 boarded barrel roof to nave with carved bosses; boarded C19 chancel roof ceiled at collars having cusped panel tracery between ties and collars. Double chamfered chancel arch with niche either side. Twisted balusters and reeded posts to C17 Communion rails. Pulpit reassembled in C19 on stone plinth has linenfold panelling beneath Renaissance arches, 4 twisted balusters as for rails at angles between panels. Trefoil headed piscina to south wall of nave. Plain C19 pine pews said to come from West Beckham workhouse; canvas achievement to Queen anne on north wall; plain octagonal font on octagonal stem. Tall tower arch having plain jambs and double chamfered arch; tower ceiled with C18 panelling from pews.

Listing NGR: TG1256838932

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224564
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06259/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E. Downs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].