CHURCH OF ST. PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1172419
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172419.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2020 at 09:10:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Merton
National Grid Reference:
TL 91192 98023

Details

MERTON TL 99 NW

4/38 Church of St. Peter

16.7.58 I

Parish church. C12 and C14. Flint, partly rendered with lead nave and pantiled chancel roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle and chancel. Plain C12 round tower with 2-light bell openings on central scalloped shafts. One 2-light window to lower- stage west, and lancet to north and south ringing chamber. Gabled north porch 1854 with hood mould on head stops. 2 buttresses to nave with 2 2-light windows above string course. Y tracery with cusped lights supporting cusped foil. Gabled roof with low parapet. 2 3-light plate traceried chancel windows in intersecting frame with daggers and pointed trefoils. Engaged columns with capitals and bases below hood mould on leaf stops: String course below windows. 2 buttresses at east with 4-light cusped intersecting window with sexfoiled circle of 1855. South chancel wall as north. South aisle buttressed. East window of 3 lights intersecting and cusped with sexfoiled circle over pointed quatrefoils c.1340. Hood mould on head stops. 2 2-light south windows with cusped lights supporting quatrefoil. Gabled south porch by E.B. Lamb 1856. 3 2-light square-headed clerestory windows with cusped ogee lights. Interior has south arcade of 4 bays with octagonal piers and moulded bases and capitals under double waved arches. Low tower arch with splayed lancet. Chancel arch wave moulded on octagonal responds with Perpendicular bases. Rood stairs survive. Nave roof of wall posts on corbels becoming arched braces to principals. Moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Boxed in ashlaring. Some C19 timbers. South aisle roof similar. Chancel roof false hammerbeam of 5 bays. Single butt purlin. Heavy wall plate and boxed ashlaring. Very fine mid C14 screen. Cusped and sub-cusped central ogee opening with tracery roundels in spandrels. 2-light panels between stiles left and right with tracery freize. Single bays to chancel arch. Panelled lower half and battlemented top rail. Early C17 double decker pulpit, panelled with carving. Early C17 box pew in aisle. Late C17 balustraded irontwist altar rail. Stepped sedilia c.1300 with moulded arches on columns with capitals and bases. Double piscina, under arched head repeating chancel window design. C15 hexagonal font on tall base, with contemporary cover restored extensively 1843.

Listing NGR: TL9119298023

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220075
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06669/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].