CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1172454
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, RAYNHAM PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172454.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 09:45:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, RAYNHAM PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Raynham
National Grid Reference:
TF 87970 25540

Details

TF 82 NE RAYNHAM EAST RAYNHAM RAYNHAM PARK 6/61 6/3/59 Church of St. Mary

lI*

Estate church in Park rebuilt by 5th Marquis of Townshend. 1866-1868 by Clark and Holland of Newmarket architects at a cost of £5,000. Flint with stone dressings, slated roofs except for leaded chancel. Despite dates not High Victorian in style but still "archaeological" Decorated-Perpendicular in detail and form, following in plan the church it replaced. West tower, nave aisle and clerestory, north and south porches, chancel and south transpet. Buttressed battlemented and pinnacled west tower with south stairs turret. Perpendicular west window, Decorated belfry windows. Aisles with 3 Perpendicular windows, battlemented, porches with Decorated details, battlemented clerestory with Perpendicular tracery. Decorated-Perpendicular chancel with south transept expressed as a porch. 5 light Perpendicular east window with head of the bishop and Queen Victoria. Interior : 3 bay nave arcades, arched braced nave roof with exposed rafters and boarding. 3-light stained tower west window c1868. Furnishings of 1868, including benches with T monogram. C15 octagonal stone font with traceried stem and panels with alternate roses and crosses. South aisle C15 brass figure with inscription to George Townshed son of Roger Townshend armiger. Carved royal arms, Hanover, of period 1714-1802. Painted hatchment to tower arch. Chancel, the gift of the Rector Mr. Phayre, with 1868 furnishings and C19 Townshend family wall monuments. North wall with 1499 freestone Easter Recess or monument commemorating the Townshend family 1463-1493, tomb chest, panelled surround, arched recess, attic. Recess figures fragments and niches. Funerary helm above. Piscina with re-used Norman shafts. (Builder 1866 p 658).

Listing NGR: TF8797025540

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223893
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Builder' in Builder, (1866), 658
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/04689/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].org.uk.