CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1172564
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172564.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:50:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stalham
National Grid Reference:
TG 37308 25165

Details

TG 32 NE STALHAM HIGH STREET (north side)

2/59 Church of St. Mary 16.4.55 the Virgin

II*

Parish church. C14 nave and aisles, Perpendicular west tower unfinished at dissolution (numerous bequests date from 1481 to 1533). Chancel rebuilt 1827. Many C19 restorations : 1854 nave and aisles restored; 1864 font restored; 1872 south porch rebuilt and new floors inserted, aisle windows restored; 1886 chancel roof renewed and raised, nave roof restored, vestry erected. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs, the aisles leaded. Squat 2 storey tower with angle buttresses. 3-light Perpendicular west window below older fragment of arch. Louvred belfry openings to north and south (originally intended as ringing chamber stage). Brick parapet. Angle buttresses to nave aisles, stepped to flanks. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses, the south face of knapped flint. 2-light Perpendicular side windows. Double wave moulded entrance arch below wall sundial dated 1801. 4 C19 3-light Perpendicular south aisle windows and 4 2-light north aisle windows with Y tracery. Arched north door. Clerestory of 4 circular windows with cusping. To south side each window separated by flushwork tracery. Chancel with angle buttresses to east, paired stepped buttresses to sides. 2 3-light reticulated south windows and similar east window. Interior. 5 bay octagonal arcade on moulded bases. Moulded polygonal capitals support double chamfered arches. Tall chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds, capitals and bases. To east side are keeled rolls. Double wave moulded chancel arch on polygonal responds, with capitals and bases. Scissor braced C19 nave roof. Rafter aisle roofs also C19. Deep splays to clerestory windows. Fine late C15 octagonal font on 3 steps, the upper 2 traceried. Foot of font stem with foliage trail. Against stem figures of prophets and saints on pedestals under ribbed canopies. Bowl panels depict Baptism of Christ (to west) and Holy Trinity (to east). Remainder of bowl panels with 12 apostles. To east of south door remains of elaborate Holy water stoup : bowl on engaged column over which is arch within square surround. Chapel of St. John the Baptist in south east corner. Bench sedilia, angle piscina with cinquefoil cusping and aumbry. Remains of rood stair in north chancel arch pier. C19 chancel roof. Against south-east chancel corner altar tomb to Katherine Catfield 1718. 2 bay tomb chest with splayed columns and pilasters, each bay carved with high relief cherub. Inscription panel against wall flanked by Corinthian pilasters below segmental pediment and achievement.

Listing NGR: TG3730825165

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223697
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].