CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1172607
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172607.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:07:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Sutton
National Grid Reference:
TG 38842 23948

Details

TG 32 SE SUTTON CHURCH ROAD (west side)

5/69 Church of St. Michael 16.4.55 II*

Parish church. Mainly early C14 with alterations and additions late C15. Restored 1848. Re-roofed 1891 when windows restored, by H.J. Green, Diocesan architect. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Lead roof to south aisle. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage square unbuttressed tower with ashlar quoins. 3-light C19 Perpendicular west window below trefoiled lancet to ringing chamber. String course below belfry. 2-light cusped belfry windows with quatrefoil vesicas. Crenellated parapet above string course. 2 storey C15 gabled south porch on brick and flint diagonal buttresses. Brick 4-centred entrance arch with double hollow chamfer mouldings and semi-circular responds. Responds with capitals and bases. Brick side lancets and parvis window. Double chamfered C14 inner doorway. 3-light cusped intersecting aisle west window. 2 2-light Y tracery side windows to aisle and similar east window. Diagonal east buttress. Brick priests' door to south chancel. 3-light Perpendicular east window by H.J. Green. Diagonal east buttresses. One 2-light restored Perpendicular north chancel window under square head and 2 similar windows to north nave. 4 north nave buttresses of various dates. Blocked north door. Nave east gable tile hung. Interior. 4 bay octagonal south arcade on moulded bases. Moulded polygonal capitals support double chamfered arches. Wave moulded tower arch with semi-circular responds. No chancel arch. Good late C14 octagonal font with annulated engaged columns against stem. Moulded capitals and bases. Between columns cusped ogees. Bowl panels have 2-light ogeed tracery. Holy water stoup to east of south door. To west of door parvis stairs. Scissor braced nave roof of 1891 and rafter and purlin aisle roof of same date. Chancel roof similar to that of aisle. South aisle chapel identified by trefoiled aumbry and bench sedilia below window. Rood stairs off chapel are blocked. Polygonal early C17 pulpit with circular frieze carvings. Arcaded C17 reading desk with scrolled brackets. C17 pierced backs to chancel stalls with poppyhead bench ends and arm rests in form of carved heads. Porch parvis with 3 triangular-headed niches to east wall and 2 to west wall.

Listing NGR: TG3884223948

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223704
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04921/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].