Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172691.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:41:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 43413 43247


SO 44 SW; 4/55

KENCHESTER CP, Church of St Michael



Parish church. Late C12, C13 bellcote, C15 south porch, C17 alterations to chancel roof, restorations of 1909 and 1925. Sandstone rubble with timber-framed porch and Welsh slate roof. Continuous nave and chancel, south porch, west end of nave thickened to support bellcote.

Nave: two renewed trefoil-headed lights to right of restored C15 south porch; curved braces to tie beam and struts above and close studding to returns. Inner C12 roll moulded semicircular-headed doorway. Three renewed trefoil-headed lights to north wall, blocked north doorway formerly with segmental head and bellcote at west end; two pointed arched heads with label pierce gable, wall below thickened. Chancel: C12 semicircular-headed light to south, similar window to north. East window: three stepped and plain pointed-arched lights; label.

INTERIOR: four-bay nave with ceiled roof, tie-beam trusses with inclined struts, C17 two-bay chancel roof with two arch-braced trusses with decorative members and central pendants, re-used north main post with vine ornament and probably formed part of the rood. Font: tall odd shaped cylindrical bowl with round stem on moulded base, C12 or C13 base and bowl possibly of re-used Roman material.

Listing NGR: SO4341443248


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 95
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 200


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13235/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].