SU 3226, 12/30
Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C12, chancel remodelled C14, all refenestrated C14 & C15,
restored 1876 and 1888-90. Flint and rubble stone mostly rendered, stone dressings,
old plain tile roof, shingled bellcote. Plan of chancel and nave, chancel rebuilt
C14, refenestrated C15, nave refenestrated C14 and C15, C15 bellcote, C19 organ
room and S porch.
Chancel has to E cinquefoiled 3-light C15 window, traceried head
and label, above overhanging roof with C19 truss, to corners stepped diagonal
buttress. To SE blocked C15 window with label, in centre C15 squareheaded 2-light
cinquefoiled window, traceried head, at W early C14 2-light trefoiled window,
quatrefoil in head. To N at W opposite similar, at E C15 2-light cinquefoiled window,
quatrefoil in head. In centre C14 priests door and C19 gabled organ room with Dec
style lancets. Nave has at E on both sides C14 ogee-headed 2-light window,
quatrefoil in head. On S in centre C19 gabled rendered porch, at W C14 pair of
pointed lancets. At W end late C14 continuously ogee-moulded 2-order W door with
label. Over C15 3-light cinquefoiled window, tracery in head and label with
shield stops. On roof, square-plan bellcote, set back from gable 1/3 way up with
tiled slope. 4-light high-set bell openings, hipped roof with weathervane.
Inside chancel windows have splayed rear arches, keel moulding to centre S window,
pointed N door.
Inside, E window has C15 stained glass, restored larger lower
figures, intact glass in traceried head and some in heads of side windows. Arch-
braced roof with moulded wall plate and tie beams. In SE 1584 monument of tomb chest
with four strapwork panels, above plinth, and inside an architrave row of kneeling
figures and inscription panel over, either side decorated Ionic pilasters supporting
decorated, topped by ogee-sided cartouche and 2 figure finials. Over N door tablet
1804 to Oliver Goodyer St John. On floor slabs: 1628 to William Sandys, brass
inlaid plates in Purbeck Marble; beside slab with crests; 1684 to Francis
Gofton; 1695 to Henry Cole; 1770 to Catherine Jones. Excellent c1150 chancel
arch, roundheaded of 2 orders, square inner order, to W outer order of roll moulded
and billeted order with chevrons outside, on cushion capital, plain shaft and
moulded base. Abaci carried round but mutilated on face. Nave has splayed rear
arch to N window, splayed flat arches to S windows, plain C12 roundheaded S door
into vestry, later chamfered, and pointed W window and door. Under NE window arched
tomb recess, under SE window ogee arched tomb recess. In SE rectangular niche.
Nave roof plain and W bay has 3 posts on each side with large arch-braces to
support bellstage with five C17 bells. Memorial on S wall 1693 to Meinertzhagen
family brought from Germany C19. Font in NW C12 square bowl on C19 base.
Furnishings C19 except early C20 Jacobean altar and pulpit.
Listing NGR: SU3201227629