This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1173157



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Abbots Langley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158699

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/53 Langleybury House 1.9.53 (The Mansion and Flats 1-6 inclusive) (formerly listed as Langleybury)


Country house and service block, now school and flats. 1725-8, dates on rainwater heads, for Sir R. Raymond, Lord Chief Justice, 1725. Altered and remodelled for W.J. Loyd, c.1860-70. Extended for E.H. Loyd, c.1890. Red brick with stone and stucco dressings. Slate roofs. 7 bay square triple pile 3 storey house with a late C19 link replacing original passage to 7 bay 2 storey service block. Tall flush frame glazing bar sashes with segmental arched, key blocked heads, stone sills, top storey has smaller sashes without key blocks. Stucco quoins. Stone cornice to C19 balustraded parapet with urns. Ground floor central C19 closed porch, pedimented Corinthian doorcase, flanking and return sashes as on main block. Stone quoins. Cornice, blocking course. 2 cross axial stacks flank central bays. Right return to garden: no glazing bars except on top storey, no key blocks, ground floor central C19 ashlar canted bay with applied Doric order. Plinth. Rendered plat bands. To rear, original entrance front, 2:3:2 with centre bays slightly projecting. Ground floor central C19 rectangular ashlar bay with applied Doric order. First and second floor left dummy windows. To right an extra C19 bay, set further back, following C18 model and re-using the early C18 doorcase, Doric with half columns, Raymond's initials and coronet in metopes, paterae in mutule blocked soffit to cornice. To left of main block and replacing the earlier covered passage is a 2 storey late C19 canted link block, 3 bays of sashes as on main block, string course between storeys, cornice to balustraded parapet. Further forward and to left is early C18 service block 1:5:1 with projecting end bays. Central entrance: 8 fielded panelled double door, architrave in narrow panel surround, carved brackets to hood with cornice and fielded panelled soffit. Flush frame thick glazing bar sashes with segmental heads, taller and with key blocks on ground floor. First floor central window has a plain raised brick surround, moulded sill and apron panel. Plat band to stone coped parapet with raised piers on outer bays, ramped up twice to centre with small open balustrade in raised panel. Late C19 mansard attic with dormers. 2 cross axial stacks flanking centre bay. End stacks. Empty timber bell- turret on ridge. 2 bay returns with pilaster strips. To right blind openings with a first floor sash, rendered to left. To rear parapet ramped up to centre as at front. Left return of main block behind service block has recessed centre with 2 large C19 sashes in original openings to staircase. Late C19 3, 2 and 1 storey blocks and outshuts added to rear in angle of main and service blocks. Interior: early C18 chimneypiece reset in late C19 entrance hall. Dog leg stair in an open well with bulbous balusters and broad moulded handrail, bolection panelling. C18 secondary stair with turned balusters, moulded handrail, some original dados and box cornices on first floor. Late C19 neo-Carolean plasterwork under staircase copied from The King's Lodge, Bridge Road (q.v.), Zodiac ceiling in Library. Attached to left front and rear and right front are walls of 2m to 3m in height, that to rear left has moulded stone caps to piers. (RCHM Typescript: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL0775700200

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 07757 00200


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 06:55:19.

End of official listing