DELROW ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1173191
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1980
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
DELROW ALMSHOUSES, 1-6, SUMMERHOUSE LANE, WD25 8DU

Map

Ordnance survey map of DELROW ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173191 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:20:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
DELROW ALMSHOUSES, 1-6, SUMMERHOUSE LANE, WD25 8DU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
Aldenham
National Grid Reference:
TQ 14424 97876

Details

TQ 19 NW, 6/44

ALDENHAM, SUMMERHOUSE LANE (Northwest side), Aldenham, Delrow Almshouses, Nos. 1-6,

(Formerly listed as Platt Almshouses)

21.01.80

II

Six almshouses. 1864-5 for the Brewer's Company. Red brick with white brick dressings. Tiled roof. 1-storey symmetrical terrace. Paired entrances under gables. 4-centred arched heads to plank doors, chamfered white brick surrounds. Tiled pentice canopies. Stone-coped gables with kneelers, that to centre with Arms of Platt. Six windows: cross casements, white brick chamfered flat arched heads. Plinth, white brick oversailing course at eaves. Blue tiled horizontal strip in roof. Two ridge stacks with four octagonal shafts each, end stacks with two such shafts. Stone coped gable end parapets with kneelers. Arms in plaques on gable ends. Small rear extensions. Interior not inspected. Almshouses replace late C16 buildings from 1528 foundation of R. Platt, who also founded Aldenham School (q.v.). Listed largely for the historical interest of the building and its foundation.

Listing NGR: TQ1442497876

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164092
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/10890/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].