CASTLE MILL AND ATTACHED GATEWAY AND GATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1173447
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Statutory Address:
CASTLE MILL AND ATTACHED GATEWAY AND GATE, MILL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173447.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Jul-2020 at 02:27:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CASTLE MILL AND ATTACHED GATEWAY AND GATE, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Dunster
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS 99112 43337

Details

1. 5366 DUNSTER MILL LANE

Castle Mill and attached gateway and gates SS 9843-9943 4/68 22.5.69

II* GV

2. Late 17th century structure, largely rebuilt 1779-1782. Render, slate roof, endgables, recessed centre, gabled projecting side wings slated verges. Two storeys plus attics. Central section comprises two gabled, slate-hung dormer windows, 3-light metal casements in wood frames, leaded lights. First floor has one 3-light metal casement window with leaded lights to left and stable- type plain boarded door to right with hoist. Similar window and door to ground floor. Side wings, one window per floor, quatrefoil attic window with leaded glazing, first floor has 2-light pointed arch window with intersecting tracery and single metal casement, left-hand wing at ground floor 4-light mullioned window set in recessed three-centred arched opening, right-hand wing has plain boarded door in comparable opening. Twin wooden overshot water wheels at east end. Interior retains mill machinery in working order. Rubble wall with brick dressing juts from south-east angle of mill, pierced by pointed arch opening with wrought-iron gates, lancet opening above, moulded stone finial.

Listing NGR: SS9911243335

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264700
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15743/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].