KING ALFRED'S MONUMENT WITH RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1173838
Date first listed:
24-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
KING ALFRED'S MONUMENT WITH RAILINGS, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KING ALFRED'S MONUMENT WITH RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173838.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 18:26:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
KING ALFRED'S MONUMENT WITH RAILINGS, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Lyng
National Grid Reference:
ST 34605 29253

Details

LYNG CP NEW ROAD (South side) ST32NW ATHELNEY

7/19 King Alfred's Monument with railings - - II

Monument to King Alfred the Great. 1801 for John Salde, the squire, repaired 1985. Dressed freestone on plain low lias plinth with set-off. A squat obelisk set upon a tall 2-stage podium; moulded plinth; lower stage of podium with a moulded cornice, and slate inscription panel to east; upper stage with scrolls to north and south, and bust of Alfred to east. The monument enclosed by iron railings, spear caps, urn finials at corners and the centre of each side, renewed red brick plinth with Ham stone capping. Erected to commemorate Alfred's occupation in 878. Stands on the site of the former monastery at Athelney which was established 893; This is a Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 367). (Aston and Leech, Historic Towns in Somerset, 1977; Pevsner, N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3460529253

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269541
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Aston, M, Leech, R, Historic Towns in Somerset, (1977)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12224/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Abbiss. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].