PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1173980
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173980.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:39:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Westmill
National Grid Reference:
TL 36944 27171

Details

Westmill village TL 3627 WESTMILL HIGH STREET (north side)

8/15 Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin (C of E) 22.2.67

GV II*

Parish church. Cll (A-S) nave, C12 N aisle, C13 chancel, C15 W tower and nave roof, S porch rebuilt and church restored 1876 with new lean-to vestry at NE. Flint rubble with coursed flint facing and limestone dressings. Barnack stone long-and-short work in situ at SE corner of nave, and reused in diagonal butresses to N aisle. Knapped flint and limestone chequered plinth to tower. Steep old red tile roofs. Small leaded Hertfordshire spike and vane on pyramidial slated base behind crenelated parapet of tower. Essentially a 2-cell pre-conquest church with unusually wide (and therefore important) nave 21 ft x 41.5 ft and square-ended chancel 15 ft x 25 ft with C13 rebuilding of chancel, and later accretious. Adding N aisle c1190 involved cutting 2 pointed unmoulded arches through A-S N wall having splayed edges, dripmoulds on both sides and moulded abaci on the intrados of each. Upper door to rood loft stair at E end of N wall. Lancet windows in sides of chancel renewed but C13 blocked square headed window with external rebate over S door of chancel. Chancel arch c1330 2-centred with 2 moulded orders, dripmould on both sides and responds of 3 large engaged shafts with fillets between. Brick jambs, head and external label with stops to W window of N aisle c1530. Tall square tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and very tall 2-centred tower arch to nave of 3 chamfered orders without capitals. Elaborate W doorway and moulded jambs with a canopied niche to each splay and spandrels carved with censing angels. 3-light W window and 4 large 2-light belfry openings with traceried heads. Gargoyles in middle of each face below parapet and deep moulded string around base. C15 scissor-braced collar-purlin nave roof with 3 octagonal crown-posts with moulded base and cap and 4-way bracing, and wall responds to short end bays. C13 memorial slab to Nicol de Leuknore on wall in base of tower with Lombardic edge inscription. Octagonal late C15 clunch font with fleurons in quatrefoils on panelled sides. C15 benches with buttressed ends. Polychrome tile reredos concealed by alter said to be the last designed by Sir Ninian Comper. 2 polychrome octagonal riddel posts supporting gilded angels: 2 more now under tower. Late C17 oak communion rails with twisted balusters. Vigourously carved eagle lectern, organ front and panelled pulpit 1931 decorated by Peter Larkworthy. (RCHM (1911) 236-7: VCH (1912) 401-2; Pevsner (1977) 401: Ormerod (n.d.) Notes for Visitors).

Listing NGR: TL3694427171

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
161366
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 401-2
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 401
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
Ormerod, Notes for Visitors on the Church of St Mary the Virgin Westmill,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04677/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Brunton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].