CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1174104
Date first listed:
27-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 13:03:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Letchworth Garden City
National Grid Reference:
TL 23143 34446

Details

CHURCH LANE 1. 5255 Norton Church of St Nicholas TL 2334 5/3 27.5.54 II 2. Late C11 or early C12. Nave altered and tower added early C15. Chancel rebuilt circa 1814 in Perpendicular style. Welsh slate roof with coped nave gable. Walls of flint and ironstone rubble with clunch dressings, partly rendered. Buttresses repaired with tile and red brick. Tower of 3 stages with crenellated parapet and diagonal buttresses. C15 2-light windows to nave. C15 doorway to tower and on south side. South porch of probably circa 1814 with Gothic arched doorway and reeded square-headed surround with corner stops. Interior with C11-12 round-arched chancel arch with plain imposts. Early C14 octagonal font with tracery decoration. C17 pulpit with canopy. Some C15 benches. (RCHM Herts p 160; VCH Herts Vol 2, p 363.)

Listing NGR: TL2314334446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
161847
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 363
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00842/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ted Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].