CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1174216
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174216.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 00:44:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Nettleden with Potten End
National Grid Reference:
TL 01713 08937

Details

TL 00 NW NETTLEDEN WITH CHURCH ROAD POTTEN END (West side) Potten End

5/192 Church of The Holy Trinity -

GV II

Chapel-of-ease, parish church since 1895. Designed c.1864, contract date 9.3.1865, licensed for services Sept 1865, consecrated 1868, porch 1908. F.C. Penrose for Earl Brownlow. Builders T. & J. Mathews and William Nash for £710. Plum brick with red brick and stone dressings and steep red tiled roofs. A small T-plan church with semi-circular apse, S porch, N vestry, and bellcote on W gable. Described'as in the Italian Norman Style. Round-arched windows, stilted 3-light windows lighting nave, single lights elsewhere with triplets at 2 levels in transepts ends. Blue brick chamfered course to plinth and red brick corbel table at eaves level continued across faces of gables with red brickwork above and stone gable copings with crosses. W gable topped by 2-stage bellcote with mid-wall shaft to lower opening. Plastered interior over boarded dado. Open timber roof with arch-braced collar-trusses in pine. Plastered round-arch with chamfered imposts to apse. 3 stained glass windows in apse presented by Lady Marion Alford for opening. Simple oak fittings with one choir stall and lectern by Thompson of Kilburn (the 'mouse-man'). Elaborate S door protected by later matching porch. Original bell replaced by 3 in 1927. War memorial tablets inserted externally in S gable of S transept. (Kelly (1914)53: M.J. Smith Holy Trinity Church, Potten End: Centenary Booklet 1868-1967 (1967): Bryant (1982) Ch.IX).

Listing NGR: TL0171008940

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157971
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914), 53
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/133626
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/133628
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/28933
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/28932
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/28931
Other
Smith, MJ , Holy Trinity Church Potten End Centenary Booklet 1868-1967, 1967,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/03161/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].