CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1174221
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174221.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 20:14:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Withypool and Hawkridge
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS 86112 30649

Details

SS83SE WITHYPOOL CP HAWKRIDGE 18/161 Church of St Giles 6.4.59

GV II* Parish church. Norman south door, C14 chancel and base of tower, rest Perpendicular, restored 1878. Local stone random rubble, plinth to chancel, Ham stone dressings slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave, chancel, Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage string course, louvred lancet bell opening, 4-light west window, unmoulded semi-circular headed doorway to C19 west door, crenellated north east stair turret; buttress to south west corner of nave, 2-light window left of gabled, single storey porch with C19 semi-circular arched opening, semi-circular headed Norman doorway with zig-zag moulding to extrados, capitals with incised design, renewed inner arch, chamfered jambs, C19 door; right 3-light trefoil headed mullioned window set into rebuilt section of nave wall, chamfered corner at junction with chancel, 2-light chancel window, 3-light east window; north front unlit with rood stair projection and lean-to roofed addition thought to contain boiler for heating system. Interior: rendered. Shallow chancel arch, unchamfered 4-centred tower arch. C19 shallow ceiled wagon roof to chancel , C19 ceiled wagon roof to nave. Panelled screen to tower arch. Norman baluster font, cable moulded with incised grid pattern to bowl. C13 stone coffin lid, chamfered cornice defaced foliage cross, incised with inscription 'William ...... lies here'; thought to refer to William de Plessy, Lord of the manor, died 1274. This was found in wall behind pulpit in 1877 and removed from the church, only to be returned in 1931. Painted Royal Coat of Arms of Queen Victoria on chancel arch wall inscribed 'WHM and JC churchwardens 1877', (Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: SS8611230649

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265575
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/03658/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Garry Mayo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].