CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1174696
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, RIVERSIDE, LONDON COLNEY, AL2 1QA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174696.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:07:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, RIVERSIDE, LONDON COLNEY, AL2 1QA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
Parish:
London Colney
National Grid Reference:
TL 18191 03760

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/05/2016

TL 10 SE 13/123

LONDON COLNEY HIGH STREET (north side) CHURCH OF ST PETER

GV II Parish Church, 1825, by George Smith. An early example of the Norman revival with painted stucco facade when listed in 1984, removed during repairs 1987. Red brick side elevations. Slate roof. Single aisle with 2-storeyed gabled front. The front is tripartite with shallow stepped dividing buttresses, the central buttresses formerly with pinnacles. The door, approached by flight of steps, is round arched and flanked by narrow blank arches. Above is a tripartite arched window. All doors and windows with hood moulds. Most openings have slender shafts with scalloped capitals. Side elevations with 5 round-headed cast iron casements. Interior has 4 wooden roof trusses and a 6-column rear gallery. Stained glass E windows, depicting ascension, designed by the Dowager Marchioness of Waterford and made by Hughes in 1865. 1983/84 N extension.

(Pevsner (1977), Barker Kenneth, (2010) The History of St Peter's Church, London Colney).

Listing NGR: TL1819103760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163657
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barker, Kenneth, The History of St Peter's Church, London Colney, (2010)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04284/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].