THE OLD MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1174843
Date first listed:
02-Jun-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
THE OLD MANOR, LONG STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174843.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 18:57:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD MANOR, LONG STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Croscombe
National Grid Reference:
ST5926444319

Details

ST54SE CROSCOMBE CP LONG STREET (North side)

14/52 The Old Manor (previously listed on Shepton Street (North side) 2.6.61

6V I

Rectorial manor house now house. Circa 1460-1489 for Hugh Sugar, the Treasurer of Wells Cathedral, further C16 and C18 alterations and additions. Roughcast and colourwashed, triple Roman and pantile roof, coped verges, 2 rendered, 2 brick and a single hexagonal ashlar stacks, 2 small C19 gabled dormers. Cross-passage plan; 2 storeys and attic, 3:1:2 bays; salient feature the projecting 2-storey gabled bay with coping and cruciform finial; 4-light hollow moulded king mullioned window to ground floor on front; similar 3-light window each side; detached anta with a pointed head recess to each outer face; 2-light stone-mullioned window to first floor, cusped lights and quatrefoiled spandrels, stopped label, iron stanchion bars; simple 2-liqht window to each side; single light window to gable face. Remainder of openings with 2 and 3-light ovolo moulded stone mullioned windows, the majority with stopped labels and leaded lights, single transoms to right 2 windows on first floor; single light window directly adjacent to left of projecting bay in a moulded stone surround, 8-pane sash window, label with carved heads as stops. Door opening between second and third bays from left, moulded stone architrave, reproduction ribbed and studded door; further door adjacent to right of projecting bay. Large sloping buttress to right of frontage. Interior with 2 moulded cross-beamed ceilings; stone fireplace with a lintel with 4 carved quatrefoils; the projecting bay with a ribbed stone ceiling to ground floor with arms of Hugh Sugar; newel stairs; further lesser features. (RD Reid, Some Buildings of Mendip, 1979; VAG report, unpublished SRO 1977; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol; 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5926444319

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267525
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Reid, R D, Some Buildings of Mendip, (1979)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04816/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].