CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1174914
Date first listed:
27-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WILLIAN CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174914.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 18:46:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WILLIAN CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Letchworth Garden City
National Grid Reference:
TL 22463 30657

Details

In the entry for the folloeing building :- LETCHWORTH WILLIAN CHURCH ROAD TL 23 SW Willian 1/2 Church of All Saints - 27.5.54 II

the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star).

------------------------------------

WILLIAN CHURCH ROAD 1. 5255 Willian Church of All Saints TL 23 SW 1/2 27.5.54 II 2. Willian parish church. Two bay nave and chancel, C12 and C13; tower and south porch, C15. Welsh slate roof with coped gables. Flint and ironstone rubble walls with ashlar dressings and buttresses. Three stage tower with stair turret, battlemented parapet, moulded strings, diagonal buttresses and gargoyles. C14 and C15 fenestration in Perpendicular style. Plain, gabled porch. Interior with C19 timber barrel roof to nave and chancel; chancel retains original corbel masks. Brass of Richard Golden (died 1446). Good wall monuments in chancel to Edward and Joan Lacon (died 1625 and 1624), John Chapman (died 1624) and Thomas Wilson (died 1656). Former C15 chancel screen removed. Carved chancel seats. (VCH vol III p 179, RCHM Herts p 242.)

Listing NGR: TL2246330657

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
161927
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 179
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/00842/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ted Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].