CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1174922
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:58:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Williton
National Grid Reference:
ST 07547 40750

Details

ST0740 WILLITON CP

10/273 Church of St Peter

22.5.69

GV II*

Parish church. Medieval chapel rebuilt, early C16 windows reset in South aisle added 1810, rest rebuilt 1856-9, bell-cote added 1896. Mid C19 work by C E Giles. Squared red sandstone rubble, uncoursed, quoins, Bath stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West porch, bell-cote West end, 4 bay nave, North aisle, North East vestry, South aisle, South East chapel, chancel. Stone gabled bell-cote centre of 3 gables on West end, central stepped buttress flanked by lancets above single storey gabled porch with kneelers, chamfered plinth, pointed arch inner doorway, ribbed door, Medieval iron work. Left C19 2-Light window, right 2-light cinquefoil-headed hollow chamfered mullioned window under square hood mould, 3 similar on South front, C19 arched windows to chapel, another C16 mullioned window South side of chancel, 3-light East window, fisheye window in gable end of vestry, 3-light shouldered mullioned window below, North front cinquefoil-headed door and 2-light window to vestry, large stepped buttress at junction with aisle linked to similar at West end by projecting plinth forming seat, two 2-light windows left and one right of gabled North porch carried on deep curved brackets with larger ovolo moulded plinth, all with chamfered corners, double gate, pointed arched plank inner door. Interior: rendered. Mid C19 roofs arch braced nave, scissor truss aisles, barrel vaulted chancel, and chancel arch with decorative capitals. Circular piers without bases in South aisle, others C19. Font, alabaster dated 1666. Lectern, 3 bays of cinquefoil-headed tracery perhaps from the rood screen removed in 1856. Poor Box dated 1680. Early C17 chest. Altar table in South aisle probably C17. This was a chapel of ease and did not become a parish church until the C18. (Buckler drawing of earlier church in Local History Library, Taunton; Armstrong, The Parish of St Peter Williton, 1982).



















Listing NGR: ST0754740750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265043
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Armstrong, , The Parish Of St Peter Williton, (1982)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04478/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kees Ter Braak. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].