Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1174954

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174954 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 11:37:57.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Holford

National Grid Reference: ST 15656 41091


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.





Church of St. Mary




Parish church. Some C12 work said to survive at base of tower, nave refenestrated early C16, chancel and north porch rebuilt 1842-4, nave and chancel restored 1870s, vestry added 1888. Red sandstone random rubble, sandstone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. Two bay nave, west tower, north porch opening into base of tower, one bay chancel and vestry. Two stage tower, saddleback roof, coped verges, moulded plinth, square opening in gable end, three-light window below with hood mould.

Gabled porch, double doors, two three-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window with hoodmould to left, two-light window in chancel, three-light east window, two two-light windows in vestry with door on west wall, three-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window south wall of nave with small two-light hollow chamfered mullioned window in south-west corner.

Interior: plastered. C19 roofs, late C19 fittings including a many coloured marble font.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19 November 2018.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265149

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1902)
Photograph in NMR.

End of official listing