CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1174955

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 10:21:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Wanstrow

National Grid Reference: ST 70984 41668

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST74SW WANSTROW CP CHURCH STREET (South side)

6/186 Church of St Mary

11.3.68

GV II*

Parish church. C15, rebuilt and extended 1810 and late C19. Local limestone rubble and ashlar, stone tile roof. Nave with South tower, North and South transepts, South chapel, chancel; Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Tower, 1810, of 3 stages, corner buttresses terminating in finials with embattled parapets between, 2-light bell openings with quatrefoil interlace on 2 stages. Plain interior under restored wagon roofs; nave has 4-light West window, early C19 wall plaques by Chapman of Frome and Crake of London, late C19 font. Unchanged Perpendicular arch remains between South transept and chapel. Chancel has restored piscina and some stained glass of 1902.

Listing NGR: ST7097041664

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 266870

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing