PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1174971
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174971.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 17:15:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Welwyn
National Grid Reference:
TL 23099 16275

Details

Welwyn TL 2316 WELWYN CHURCH STREET (north side)

14/291 Parish Church of St Mary

24.1.67

- II

Church. C13, nave rebuilt C15, N aisle added and tower rebuilt 1662; organ chamber, vestry and SE choir aisle added 1867-70. Further renovations and alterations 1910-11 by C J Blomfield, roofs renewed 1952. Flint with stone dressings, machine tile roof. Crenellated tower with octagonal stair turret. Gargoyles and clock. Window tracery is mostly perpendicular style; geometric style on N aisle. Twin gable SE aisle. 6-bay nave has octagonal piers and plain chamfered arches. Choir with C14 double piscina with pointed trefoil heads under ogee arches. C15 wooden traceried screen between chancel and N chapel. Monument to Edward Young, Rector of Welwyn 1730-1765. (Pevsner (1977) ).



Listing NGR: TL2309916275

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158558
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03087/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss J Johnson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].