ASTON BURY MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1174988
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
31-May-1984
Statutory Address:
ASTON BURY MANOR, ASTON BURY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASTON BURY MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:48:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
ASTON BURY MANOR, ASTON BURY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Aston
National Grid Reference:
TL 27606 21702

Details

TL 22 SE ASTON ASTON BURY LANE (west side)

3/20 Aston Bury Manor (formerly listed as 20.10.52 Aston Bury)

GV I

Manor house. Mid Cl7 (heraldic door spandrels of 1540-45 reused in doorway to E stair) for Cason family. Restorations: 1883 for Captain W E F O'Brien; 1908-9 for Vernon Malcolmson by Forsyth and Maule. Adapted for educational use by Hertfordshire County Council c1972. Ground floor walls of flint, banded with brick and with brick dressings; first floor of timber framing infilled and faced with brick. Steep old red tiled roofs. A long rectangular block of 2 storeys, cellars and attics, facing N with 2 large gabled stair wings at rear. The house is remarkable for the symmetry of all the elevations and the original upper floor plans. Ground floor had a passage separating the hall on LH leading to main stair and parlour, from service rooms and elaborate second staircase. The twin staircases are a remarkable feature, each approached separately and serving a pair of principal 1st floor rooms with pairs of lesser rooms between, the rear one lit by a balustraded grille from the staircase. This design is to eliminate the need to approach one room through another. The 2nd floor was a long gallery with plastered waggon ceiling, 2 fireplaces, and gable end windows as well as 4 dormers, now partitioned into bedrooms. 7 windows long symmetrical N front with 4 shaped gables alternating with hipped dormers behind linking parapets. 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows in moulded brick surrounds, with leaded glazing. Central gabled porch c1908 protects square-headed moulded entrance doorway with moulded oak doorframe. Moulded string at 1st floor and eaves level. Mullioned windows to cellar to right of porch. Buttresses on end walls at corners. End gables have sinuous double-curved brick coping and paired ornamental chimney stalks each side of centre with spurred caps. 2 groups of 3 similar shafts rise from rear wallhead. Lofty ground floor rooms and lower floor level at W end former kitchen, with very wide lintoled gable fireplace and blocked 4-light heavy oak ovolo-moulded window in rear wall. E open-well staircase with closed string, bi-symmetrical turned balusters, and heavy square newels, rises to attic level and has tall finials on corner newels composed of an obelisk on balls raised on an arched pierced base. Acorn finials and arabesque decorated wooden band fixed to string and floor-edge at landings. W staircase of similar design but with more traditional pierced Jacobean finials. High walls extend to rear to enclose a small terraced garden with a 4-centred arched gateway in each side. (Country Life 26.3.1910, 450-8: RCHM (1911) 42-3: VCH (1912) 54-5: Pevsner (1977) 79: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2760621702

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159552
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 54-5
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 79
'Country Life' in 26 March, (1910), 450-8
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].