CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1175111
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175111.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:24:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clun
National Grid Reference:
SO 31596 76349

Details

SO 37 NW CLUN C.P. CHAPEL LAWN

10/64 Church of St. Mary 21.3.68

- II

Church. 1844, by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; rendered East end and shingle-hung West end; slate roof. Lancet style; 3-bay nave, polygonal apse, North-west vestry and South-west porch. Buttresses with single set-offs; diagonal at corners; chamfered cill string; verge parapets; gabled West bellcote with chamfered-arched opening. Lancets with chamfered reveals, 3 in apse; twin West lancets. Chamfered-arched South doorway in first bay from left with late C19 boarded door; gabled porch with chamfered archway and returned hoodmould; North-west vestry with lancet to North and lean-to to West with boarded North door. Interior: roof with 2 pairs of purlins; arch-braced tie-beam and collar trusses consisting of queen struts with flanking curved braces and short king post from collar; chamfered-arched vestry door; octagonal wooden pulpit; octagonal stone font with quatrefoil panels; there is reputed to be a C17 chest in the vestry. Cf. Church of St. John the Baptist, Church Road, Newcastle (also included in this list). Cranage; Vol. 5, p.431.

Listing NGR: SO3159676349

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257159
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 431

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14064/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].