THE MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO REAR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1175218
Date first listed:
02-Jun-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO REAR, CUMHILL HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175218.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 23:38:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO REAR, CUMHILL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Pilton
National Grid Reference:
ST 58803 40755

Details

ST54SE PILTON CP CUMHILL HILL (West side)

15/113 The Manor House and attached wall to rear (The Manor House previously listed)

2.6.61

GV II*

Abbatial residence, subsquently a manor house. Established by Abbot Michael of Amesbury, 1235-52; refurbished by Abbot Adam of Sodbury, 1323-34; further work by Abbot John Chinnock 1315-1420; C17 additions by Edward, Earl of Hereford rebuilt by Edward Andrews, a Bristol merchant c1754; later C18 additions. L-plan; symmetrical classical frontage with added Gothic features, some of which may be re-used medieval work; wing at right angles to rear in an ebbulient Gothick style. Coursed and squared rubble, crenellated ashlar parapets, crocketted finials, predominantly ashlar stacks, hipped tile, pantile and slate roofs. Frontage of 2 storeys, 5 bays, ashlar end pilasters, a 2-stage ashlar buttress to each side, cornice band, continuous bands over window heads; 12-pane sash windows to first floor in plain stone surrounds; except Venetian window to centre, centre-light with a keystone, sash window to each light; 18-pane sash windows to ground floor in plain stone surrounds; except narrow 6-pane sash windows flanking central door opening, that to right blank and painted to resemble a sash window. Door opening in a moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze, segmental pediment, half-glazed door. Truncated projecting rubble stack to right return with off-sets. Projecting canted turret to left return, 4 narrow windows in dressed stone surrounds with cusped heads. Wing to rear with 3 large triple-light gothic windows to South side, traceried sash windows; French windows; further window with a cusped head. To rear a gabled stair-turret, 2 and 3-light moulded stone-mullioned windows, 2 with leaded lights; adjacent a ribbed and studded door in an ovolo-moulded surround; inside a further cambered head door opening in a chamfered stone surround. Interior with a panelled room to right of ground floor, moulded plaster cornice, fireplace in a bolection moulded surround. Two rooms in wing to rear with eleborate Gothick plasterowork, particularly around the windows. Some early turned balusters at top of stairs. Many further features. Coursed and squared rubble wall to rear, moulded cornice, 2 pointed arch door openings in dressed stone surrounds. (Private guide prepared by the owner).

Listing NGR: ST5880240749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267585
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04817/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].