FORMER VILLAGE READING ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1175244
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
FORMER VILLAGE READING ROOM

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175244.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:01:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER VILLAGE READING ROOM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Witham Friary
National Grid Reference:
ST 74454 41081

Details

S174SW WITHAM FRIARY CP

6/238 Former Village Reading Room

11.3.68

GV II*

Former village reading room, once dovecot, now store. Circa 1300, attached to Carthusian Priory, substantially remodelled and restored by Gill in 1900 for the Duke of Somerset. Local limestone rubble, squared quoins, diagonal 2 stage buttresses, plain tile roof with bellcast and parapets, brick stack to left. Rectangular, Tudoresque gabled facade. 3 window height, though interior unfloored, one bay, 5-light chamfered stone mullions window to first floor, above, small square attic light. Central door opening, chamfered segmental headed stone surround, plank door, strap hinges with Art Noveau motif. Tall 2-light mullion and transom window in left return. Single storey pent roofed outshut to right side. Interior contains traces of pigeon holes, and fireplace of the restoration, being a copy of that at the Charterhouse of Mount Grace in Yorkshire.

Listing NGR: ST7445441081

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266936
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/02100/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Brendan Balhetchet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].