This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LITTLE CASSIOBURY AND FORMER STABLE BLOCK TO REAR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LITTLE CASSIOBURY AND FORMER STABLE BLOCK TO REAR

List entry Number: 1175392

Location

LITTLE CASSIOBURY AND FORMER STABLE BLOCK TO REAR, HEMPSTEAD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Jan-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158168

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 19 NW 4/23 5259

HEMPSTEAD ROAD Little Cassiobury and former stable block to rear.

Formerly listed as: Little Cassiobury (Education Office, Watford College) and former stable block to rear.

Formerly listed as: No 31 (Little Cassiobury), including outbuildings under Hemel Hempstead Road

26.8.52

II*

Small formal late C17 red brick mansion, a dower house of Cassiobury. Two storey and attic. Hipped plain tile roofs. Three flat topped dormers with moulded cornices. Nine window range to front with projecting 3 window centre and very narrow one window ends. Wood modillion cornice, brick platband. Exposed box glazing bar sashes. Gauged brick flat heads to surrounds. Outer windows narrow. Central door with later moulded doorcase and pediment on brackets. Inside a panelled entrance hall with corner archways to staircase and through passage. Fielded panels, moulded cornice, fluted pilaster each side of fireplace. Arches with keyblocks and moulded imposts. Panelled staircase wall. To rear a former stable block altered circa 1930 by C Williams-Ellis, with 3 round headed doorways, pantile hipped roof and in centre C18 stone panel of Essex arms found in grounds. Country Life 13.8.1938.

Listing NGR: TQ1035596970

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 13 August, (1938)

National Grid Reference: TQ 10355 96970

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2018 at 11:51:48.

End of official listing