REMAINS OF CHURCHYARD CROSS, IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 18 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1175433

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF CHURCHYARD CROSS, IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 18 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF CHURCHYARD CROSS, IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 18 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175433 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:45:19.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF CHURCHYARD CROSS, IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 18 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Wootton Courtenay

National Park: EXMOOR

National Grid Reference: SS9382043416

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS94SW WOOTTON COURTENAY CP WOOTTON COURTENAY VILLAGE

6/121 Remains of churchyard cross, in churchyard about 18 metres south of nave, Church of All Saints -

GV II*

Churchyard cross, Early C15, mid C19 calvary. Ham stone. Three stage calvary, unusually fine socket, octagonal, 4 engaged columns with moulded caps and plinths, recessed panels with moulded surrounds, tapering shaft with deep grooves to the angles, in all about 1.8 m high, A Buckler drawing of 1839 shows shields in the recessed panels of which there are now no trace; Pooley refers to the remains of sculpture on 2 sides of the shaft, likewise no longer extant. (Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877).

Listing NGR: SS9382043416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265404

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pooley, C, An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, (1877)

End of official listing