CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKETT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1175680
Date first listed:
02-Jun-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKETT, PYLLE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175680.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 15:01:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKETT, PYLLE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Pylle
National Grid Reference:
ST 60706 38334

Details

ST63NW PYLLE CP PYLLE LAKE (North side)

8/176 Church of St Thomas a Beckett

2.6.61

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Rebuilt 1868 for Portman familly, except C15 tower. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, tile roofs with fish-tail banding, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry, west tower. Three stage Perpendicular tower with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet with pinnacles, 2-light bell chamber windows with a quatrefoil interlace, 2-light windows repeating on the stage below on the south and west sides; ashlar turret to north side with a spirelet; 3-light west window, west door with a label. Remainder in free Early English style; 4-bay nave with 2-light windows, 2 bay chancel with lancets, 3-light east window. Plastered interior; encaustic tile floor to chancel, some fine tiling to walls in terracotta, tile reredos, arch-braced king post roofs, that to chancel on reused C15 corbels. Perpendicular tower arch; shafted chancel arch. C11 tub font with chevron banding. Bier dated 1740. C18 tablet to nave by T King of Bath; 2 C19 tablets. Some stained glass of C19 to chancel, east window of The Crucificion. Ringing chamber gallery under tower.

Listing NGR: ST6070638334

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267649
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/01360/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G F J Russell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].