EASTHAM'S GATE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1175721

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: EASTHAM'S GATE FARMHOUSE, YEOVIL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EASTHAM'S GATE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175721 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 13:19:55.

Location

Statutory Address: EASTHAM'S GATE FARMHOUSE, YEOVIL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Merriott

National Grid Reference: ST 45624 10652

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST41SE MERRIOTT CP YEOVIL ROAD (North side)

3/161 Eastham's Gate Farmhouse

GV II

Former toll house, now farmhouse. Early C19 extended later C19. Ham stone cut and squared; hipped Welsh slate roofs, with plain gable to rear extension; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 2-bay roadside elevation, of which bay 1 is a double chamfered projection. Pointed arched windows with 'Y'-traceried casements diamond leaded, with 3 windows to first floor in bay 1, and 2 on the chamfered faces ground floor: to left of upper bay 2 a segmental-arched recesss with sill, probably for the toll-charge board; to ground floor centre bay 1 signs of a blocked doorway with shallow-pitched roofed porch. South-west side elevation has signs of similar blocked doorway and a blocked window above. Rear extension of single bay having 6-pane sash windows, and to right a studded boarded C20 door set in late C19 open porch. North-east elevation has matching sash windows in the extension, and two lean-to buildings. Interior not seen. This section of the old London-Exeter Road was turnpiked by the Chard Trust in 1753, but was transferred to the smaller Crewkarne Trust in 1825: the road immediately north-east was diverted in 1831, and this toll house probably dates from this period (Bentley B.J and Murless J.B, Somerset Roads, SIAS, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST4562410652

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262411

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bentley, J B, Murless, B J , Somerset Roads: The Legacy of the Turnpikes Western Somerset, (1985)

End of official listing