CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1175850
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175850.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:55:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sheinton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 61058 03982

Details

SHEINTON C.P. SHEINTON SJ 60 SW 5/112 Church of St Peter and 13.6.58 St Paul GV II*

Parish church. Medieval fabric, partly re-built in 1660s, thoroughly restored 1854. Uncoursed limestone rubble with coursed rubble to C19 parts, plain tile roofs with coped stone verges. Nave with belfry, chancel, north aisle and south porch. Nave: medieval or C17 fabric on south side with 2-light Decorated-style window (c.1854) to east of mid-C19 gabled stone porch; similar window to west wall, corbelled-out timber framed belfry above probably C17 but considerably restored, close-set vertical posts with 2 middle rails and quatrefoil frieze to top, twin trefoil-headed openings below wide spreading eaves of pyramidal roof with brass weathercock; rectangular stair turret to north and lean-to 2-bay north aisle with paired cusped lancets, both c.1854. Chancel: south side has cusped lancet with blind lowside window below to left of pointed doorway and a 2-light Decorated-style window to right, all c.1854; north side also with mid-C19 Decorated- style window to east but retains medieval fabric and has an early C14 cusped lancet with blocked lowside window below to west; east window of 3 lights with reticulated tracery (c.1854). Interior: round-headed south doorway has massive plank and muntin door said to come from Buildwas Abbey (q.v. under Buildwas C.P.), nail-studded with long fleur- de-lys pointed strap hinges, the upper bent at right-angles to allow space for a small inset round-arched door with strap hinges on the inside; double hammer-beam roof to nave in 3 bays (outer trusses restored) supported on elaborately carved wall brackets, straight wind- braces and V-struts from collars; the belfry rests on 2 wooden posts with arch bracing, tie beams and quatrefoil struts - a stone in the north wall of the nave is lettered "RICD HARNAGE/RH 1669/GEO.HARNAGE/1845"; mid-C19 pointed chancel arch; trussed rafter roof to chancel with moulded eaves cornice probably C14, although some of the decorative motifs to the cornice (including ball-flower and dog-tooth ornament) are probably mid- C19; trefoil-headed piscina probably also C14 and 2 mid-C17 chairs flank altar; pulpit also C17 and some of the pews are of this date (although one to front on north side of nave has date 1716); plain apparently mid- C19 font on circular plinth and C19 stained glass in East window by H. Hughes (1877). Monument: remarkable effigy of a recumbent female figure, perhaps a child, only 0.7m long, and probably C14 - now at east end of nave but said to have been found in chancel during C19 restoration. The church occupies a prominent position in the village on high, probably partly man-made, mound. B.o.E., p.242; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), Pp. 506-7.

Listing NGR: SJ6105803982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258899
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 506-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 242

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09209/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].