This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1176049



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Baschurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260712

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



15/15 Church of All Saints - 27.5.53 GV II* Parish church, late C12, early C13, early C14 and early C15, restored in 1790 by Thomas Telford when north aisle was demolished and again by George H. Birch in 1885-6; further restoration in 1894. Large regularly coursed and dressed red sandstone blocks; slate roofs with coped verges on carved stone kneelers. Nave; chancel; west tower; south aisle; north-east vestry and organ chamber and another vestry at west end of aisle. Tower. Early C13 to bottom 4 stages with cham- fered plinth and string courses; stepped angle buttresses at north- west and south-west corners. Top stage with embattled parapet added c.1400. Conical plain tile cap with C18 brass weathercock on contem- porary finial. Belfry has paired louvred lancets with chamfered mullions immediately above string course on north, south and west sides and similar opening on east with south light infilled. Heightening of belfry has broad 2-light window on each side with cinquefoil heads and spheric triangle above (cusped on north and east sides). Late C14 west window has heavily restored panel tracery in 4 lights; contemporary or slightly earlier pointed doorway below. Oval-shaped iron discs to each face inserted in 1834. Nave. Unbuttressed on north, except at junction with tower, has moulded eaves cornice. Three 2-light Decorated-style windows of 1894. Short chancel, mainly of 1790, has moulded eaves cornice with late C19 two-light Decorated-style window on south. Three-light Decorated-style east window of 1885-6. Vestry and organ chamber (1894) has gable of organ chamber to north and lean-to vestry against north wall of chancel. Gable has 3-light Decorated-style window and lean-to has pointed doorway with hoodmould and paired rectangular barred window to east. Octagonal stone chimney with decorated top on east side of gable. South aisle. Rebuilt in present form c.1300 but roof heightened in C18, refaced and present windows inserted in late C19. Buttressed in 3 unequal bays including stepped angle buttresses at south-east and south-west corners. 2-light Decorated-style windows in south wall except for window in east bay, which has cusped intersecting tracery in 3 lights. East window of 4 cusped lights with quatrefoils to heads and C19 pointed doorway beneath; 3-light Decorated-style west window of 1903. Infilled pointed arch immediately to right of westernmost window in south wall, which cuts apparently C12 infilled round-headed window. Outline of roof pitch of former porch visible above. Moulded string course in east bay continues around buttress but has been shaved off to east wall. Late C19 flat-roofed vestry at west end of aisle formerly had lean-to roof, removed in 1903 when west window inserted: outline of roof pitch visible against south face of tower. 2-light mullion window to west wall and pointed doorway on south. Octagonal stack at junction with aisle on south. Interior. Main feature is heavily re- newed late C12 six-bay south nave arcade: circular piers (one with plain moulded base visible) and square abaci with single-stepped round-headed arches. Eaves line of C12 nave visible on south with 2 single-splayed chamfered lancets alternating with 2 chamfered roundels to former clerestory. Early C13 double-chamfered tower arch with corbelled responds and imposts. Probably C18 king-post roof in 7 bays to nave and in 4 bays to chancel (2 west bays structurally in nave), latter with cusped struts and Gothic tracery patterns added by Birch. King-post roof in 9 bays to aisle. This has pointed arched recess in east wall and pointed arched recess with inner trefoil-headed recess (probably formerly housing piscina) to east in south wall, both probably early C14. 3 tomb recesses in south wall also early C14, 2 to east with 3 orders of roll and fillet moulding (easternmost with ballflower enrichment and inner trefoil-headed recess) and that to west double-chamfered. Infilled pointed arch-way also visible internally. Infilled moulded half-arch in south wall of chancel looks C13. Fittings and furnishings including pews, choir stalls, pulpit, lectern and low stone wall with marble coping separating chancel from nave and aisle mainly late C19 or later. Octagonal font at entrance to chancel has inscription "JW WS 1681". Oak chest in recess with ball- flower decoration has painted lettering "John Lloyd and Tho.s Oswell Church Wardens 1775." Stained glass in east window by Kempe (1886), in south wall of chancel 1912 and in east window of nave 1920. Monuments. Wall tablet to Revd. Robert Jeffreys (died 1800) - chancel, south side and C19 wall tablets in south aisle. This has wall memorial to Thomas Corbet (died 1615) at east end: Corinthian capitals enclosing inscription panel with heraldic device above. North wall of nave has C19 wall tablets and memorials and a memorial to William Basnett (died 1754), a justice of the peace for Middlesex: rococo style with an urn in front of an obelisk, which has an heraldic device attached. Four C18 hatchments in south aisle and 3 in nave, which also has royal coat-of-arms of George III (1802) fixed to north wall. Two late C18 benefactors' boards in tower. The church was collegiate in the Anglo-Saxon period. B.o.E. pp. 68-9; D.H.S. craaage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), pp. 744-7; appendix, p. 975.

Listing NGR: SJ4223721879

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 744-7
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 975
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 68-9

National Grid Reference: SJ 42237 21879


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 03:46:44.

End of official listing