This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1176127



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Baschurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260727

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BASCHURCH C.P. STANWARDINE-IN-THE-WOOD SJ 42 NW 12/28 Stanwardine Hall - 27.5.53 GV II* Manor house, now farmhouse. Dated 1588 (inside) for Robert Corbet, extended early C17 for his son, Thomas Corbet with further remodelling of 1713 (datestone) for Sir John Wynne; later additions and alterations. Red brick (English bond to C16 and C17 parts) with sandstone ashlar dressings and ashlar-faced porch; slate roofs, graded to rear with weathercock to front gable of cross-wing T-plan with 2 narrow projecting gabled wings to main range, right forming porch; gabled cross-wing to right is early C17 addition, extended to rear in 1713. 2 storeys and attics with semi- basement to cross-wing, chamfered sandstone plinth plus angle quoins and moulded cill band to first floor of main range. Stone mullioned and mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights throughout, one on each floor to left gable and to either side of porch, with variety of mouldings. Cross-wing has plain chamfered mullioned and transomed windows on each floor to gable and to left return. Left gabled wing has dentilled decoration to shaped gable with stone coping surmounted by ball finial; carving of raven (rebus for Corbet) in circular panel to apex. Porch has carvings of griffins to corners below first-floor window with Corbet family coat-of-arms to centre. Carving of elephant and castle to apex of shaped gable, which has elaborately moulded coping and ball finial. Plain pilastered outer doorway with moulded entablature and depressed Tudor arch. Inner moulded doorway with cambered head has massive plank door with fleur-de-lys pointed strap hinges. Integral lateral stack to right side of left gabled wing with 2 detached diagonal shafts and single stack to right side of porch. Prominent integral stack in bottom of roof slope to far right of main range has 5 attached and rebated shafts. Integral lateral stack to left of cross-wing with detached diagonal shafts and shaped gable with stepped external end stack at right-angles to right. This has small C19 casements in infilled segmental-headed openings to ground and first floors. C19 service block attached to right. Right return of cross-wing with full-height gable projecting to right of centre has variety of mullioned, infilled wooden cross windows, leaded and C19 casements and one glazing bar sash window. Entrance through tall round- headed arch-way with boarded door in narrow lean-to to left of projecting gable, which also has later 2-storey lean to to right. Red-brick ridge stack with 2 detached diagonal shafts to gable. Rear has wide projecting gabled range (probably 1713) to left with two C19 lean-tos attached. Main range has full-height gabled projection housing staircase to left and prominent external lateral stack to right with angle quoins and 3 detached diagonal shafts. Flat-roofed projection attached to right with possible garderobe between has crenellated parapet partly concealing timber framed gable with cusped lozenge decoration. Mullioned and mullioned and transomed windows throughout, mostly infilled including 3-light windows on each floor of flat-roofed projection to right. Interior. Entrance hall, now divided into several rooms, has late C16 plaster frieze decorated with pomegranates, trailing vines, acorns, shields and lion's heads; moulded cornice. Stone flag floor and infilled fireplace to back wall with pilastered surround and moulded overmantel. Small panelled room to right of porch has carved rectangular panel with representation of a raven and inscription "1588/C/RI". Large rectangular panels to walls look early C18 but reused Jacobean panelling around infilled fireplace. Solid block oak staircase in gabled projection to rear rises in short straight flights (note small spy-hatch into entrance hall) and leads on first floor to great chamber directly above entrance hall. This has moulded cross-beam ceiling and fireplace with moulded stone surround and depressed lintel. Possible garderobe behind fireplace. Small room on first floor of porch has stone fireplace with Tudor arch and inserted Coalbrookdale grate. Moulded cross-beam ceiling in room to right of porch, which also has C18 fireplace with moulded surround and mantel-shelf supported on carved consoles. Cross- wing has timber frame (square panels) to cross-walls and front room has early C17 square and rectangular oak panelling, some of which has been removed to Petton Church (q.v. under Petton C.P.) and decorated late C18 cast-iron Coalbrookdale fireplace. Room to rear on right has deep- chamfered ceiling beams and datestone above infilled fireplace of present kitchen below. This reads "SRIW/KNT & BAT 1713". Short spiral staircase of solid block treads leads from cross-wing down to ground floor into passage with stone cambered arch-way. This leads to kitchen (formerly open to ceiling of room above) which now has chamfered ceiling beams and joists, presumably inserted after 1713. Earlier kitchen in sub-basement of cross-wing. Panelled doors (C16 to C18) throughout, many with H-hinges. Inset panelled wall cupboards, many with butterfly hinges. Wide boarded floor boards to first floor and attic,which has multi-bay collar-beam roof with double purlins and straight windbraces. An earlier house lay on the moated house platform (Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 267 ) approximately loom to south-west. B.O.E. p. 292; H.E. Forrest in Trans. Salop Arch. Soc. 4th Series, Vol. VIII (1920-21), pp. 85-7; Mrs. Frances Stackhouse Acton, Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868), p. 56.

Listing NGR: SJ4274627806

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 292
Stackhouse Acton, F, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire, (1868), 56
'Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society' in Series 4 1920-1, (1921), 56

National Grid Reference: SJ 42746 27806


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 01:53:57.

End of official listing