This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1176171



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Street

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267794

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/85 Ivythorn Manor



Monastic dwelling, subsequently a country house. Of medieval origin, rebuilt 1488 for Abbot Selwood of Glastonbury Abbey, subsequently passing to the families Marshall and Sydenham after the dissolution. Sir John Sydenham added a wing 1578 (though this was subsequently demolished). In 1834 the house was partly ruinous; restored c1904, later substantial alterations and additions including West wing of 1938. Coursed and squared rubble, coped verges on kneelers with finials, triple Roman tile roof, tall rubble stacks. Irregular L-plan; entrance frontage of 2 storeys, 1:1 bays under front facing gables; that to left largest and projecting forward; a 6-light moulded stone-mullioned window to each floor, iron stanchions and saddle bars, leaded lights, stopped labels, carved stone angels as stops, relieving arches; narrow right bay set back being a 2-storeyed porch, 2-light stone-mullioned window to first floor, stopped label, iron casement with leaded lights. Outer door opening to ground floor in a moulded stone surround, 4-centred arch head, corbel carved as a head set above; benched interior on flag floor; inner door in a moulded surround with a 4-centred arch head, ribbed and studded plank door with iron strap hinges; above a freestone tablet with the arms of Abbot Selwood. Left and right returns in conforming style, many features restored. Single and 2-storeyed. West wing although relatively modern and much altered included because it completes the ensemble. Interior with C15 moulded beams to one room; original fireplace openings. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Buckler, Drawings, SANHS).

Listing NGR: ST4806534304

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, ()

National Grid Reference: ST 48065 34304


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 05:22:26.

End of official listing